The Power BI for Office 365 cloud service works with Microsoft Dynamics 365 to provide a self-service analytics solution. Power BI automatically refreshes the Microsoft Dynamics 365 (online) data displayed. With Power BI Desktop or Microsoft Office Excel Power Query for authoring reports and Power BI for sharing dashboards and refreshing data from Microsoft Dynamics 365 (online), sales, marketing, and service personnel in your organization have a powerful new way to work with Dynamics 365 data.
The Microsoft Dynamics 365 content packs for Power BI cloud service allow you to easily access and analyze your sales, service, or marketing data.
1. Register with Microsoft Power BI.
2. After signing in to Power BI, in the Datasets area click Get Data, under Services click Get, and then select from the following content packs.
3. For the Sales Manager and Service Manager content packs, enter the URL of your Microsoft Dynamics 365 (online) instance, such as https://OrganizationName.crm.dynamics.com, where OrganizationName is the organization name of your instance of Microsoft Dynamics 365 (online), and click Next.
For the Marketing content pack, enter the URL as https://OrganizationName.marketing.dynamics.com/analytics, where OrganizationName is the organization name of your instance of Microsoft Dynamics 365 (online), and click Next
4. Under Authentication method, select oAuth2.
5. Users Microsoft Dynamics 365 (online) organization data is imported and several visualizations become available.
Before users can embed Power BI visualizations on personal dashboards, the organization-wide setting must be enabled.
1. Sign-in to Microsoft Dynamics 365 as a user with the system administrator security role.
2. Go to Settings > Administration > System Settings.
3. On the Reporting tab in the Allow Power BI visualization embedding option, select Yes to enable or No to disable.
4. Click OK.
Users can connect to Microsoft Dynamics 365 (online) with Power BI Desktop to create custom Dynamics 365 reports and dashboards for use with the Power BI service.
Power BI service registration
Power BI Desktop.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 (online) instance
1. Start Power BI Desktop.
2. From the Home tab, click Get Data, and then click More.
3. In the Get Data list, select Dynamics 365 Online.
4. Enter the Dynamics 365 (online) OData endpoint URL. It should look similar to this URL, where OrganizationName is the name of your Dynamics 365 (online) organization, and v8.1 is the version. Click OK.
5. In the Access an OData feed dialog click Organizational account, and then click Connect.
6. The organization database entity tables appear in the Power BI Desktop Navigator window. Users can select both default and custom entities.
Use similar steps to connect to Microsoft Dynamics 365 (online) using Microsoft Office Excel Power Query by selecting From Other Sources on the Power Query tab in Excel.